Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Real Challenge of HR !

From last few days my interaction with the HR dept. has increased. These interactions as always have left me a little nostalgic.

I was remembering the earlier days of my career----the time when I was first appointed as the Team leader. During those days, I always found myself being thrown into situations that were completely out of my expertise area. And then, each time I used to succeed, I developed an innate confidence. I learned and accquired the ability to figure out what the core mission is and work from there.

I feel that if you provide proper tools and technology to your subordinates or teams, they will approach their work with a new enthusiasm. Prior to this we need to understand and measure their frustration levels, which are creating a drag on the process/company.

From my experience, I know that at first there is always a lot of fear and mistrust when the level of their accountability is increased. But slowly when they themselves get this comparative data on their performance, the acceptance reaches new heights. Because they now have a tool to measure themselves. They can see themselves as compared to their peers. Those struggling start looking at successful peers for guidance.

The next step is to hone our ability to identify the ones with the most potential and get them onto an appropriate career path so they’ll be ready to take on the role as Team Leader or manager.

The human resource department I feel should always be about--- much more than just bringing in new employees, it should be a central player of the whole organization. It should be able to make all the employees love their work, and feel good about what they do.

According to me this is the real challenge of HR. But worth it, if one achieves it.!!

No comments: